Neck Pain Symptoms, Treatments and Solutions
There’s a reason why “pain in the neck” has become an idiom – the saying hints to just how frustrating a painful neck condition can be! At Progressive Spine & Sports Medicine, home to Bergen County, NJ’s premier non-invasive pain management clinic, we work with hundreds of people just like you who struggle with neck pain, and help them achieve better outcomes that last.
Common Causes of Neck Pain
Every neck is different. That’s why our staff takes the time and attention needed to investigate and identify the underlying cause of your neck pain and other symptoms, which will help us determine the best course of treatment for you.
Common neck pain causes include:
- Whiplash syndrome (strain and tension on connective tissue in the neck region due to a forceful start/stop injury)
- Joint subluxation (misalignment of one or several of the vertebral bones)
- Spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal that typically occurs with age)
- Osteoarthritis (inflammation of the cervical joints)
- Disc bulge (when the gel-filled disc between your vertebral bones sticks out of place)
- Disc herniation (when the gel-filling inside the disc leaks out into the surrounding area)
- Spinal nerve impingement (pressure and pinching on a spinal nerve as it exits the spinal column)
- Thoracic outlet syndrome (pressure on the neurovascular tissue at the front of your shoulder as they pass between your clavicle and first rib)
- Muscle strain or ligament sprain (may result from an acute or chronic issue)
Contributing factors to these issues may include anything from auto or sports-related injuries to “text neck,” otherwise known as the poor posture we sustain while utilizing handheld digital devices.
Neck Pain & Associated Symptoms
If you have neck pain, you probably notice other issues, too. This is due to the intricate connection between the connective tissues of your head, neck, shoulders, and upper back – a problem in one area often leads to a problem in another area.
For instance, our patients commonly report neck stiffness, headaches, shoulder pain, increased muscle tension, numbness and/or weakness in one or both arms (especially if a cervical nerve is involved), stiffness, and decreased tolerance to exercise, desk work, and sleep.
How our Ramsey Spine & Sports Medicine Team Treats Neck Pain
When you book an appointment with us for neck pain, our board certified medical team will select from a variety of our diagnostic and treatment options to help you find the best solution to your signs and symptoms of dysfunction. Every treatment plan we offer is completely customizable to fit your specific needs. We’ll “give a nod” to your lifestyle, age, and health history when developing a plan of care for you, which may include:
- Osteopathic Manipulations – to realign the spinal joints and bones
- Regenerative Stem Cell Injections – to revitalize and repair tissue healing in affected tissues
- Interventional Pain Injections – including Botox, to reduce inflammation and promote fast pain relief
- Acupuncture – to relieve pain and promote decreased muscle tension
- Physical Therapy – to restore normal mobility, endurance, and strength of key musculature
Struggling with Neck Pain? Our Multidisciplinary Team in Ramsey Can Help
We take “progressive” seriously at Progressive Spine & Sports Medicine. That’s why we’re 100% committed to providing our patients with state-of-the-art, evidence-based pain management strategies that hinge on comprehensive and non-invasive services. If your neck pain has been holding you back in life and you’re looking for non-surgical and “whole person” approach to healing, then call our Ramsey spine and sports medicine team today at (201) 962-9199.